Chairman & CEO Crieff Hydro family of hotels
- What was your favourite subject at school?
Maths and English.
- What was your first job?
Cleaning chalets in Crieff Hydro aged 12.
- Which is your favourite restaurant /hotel?
I’ve been privileged to dine in some top-end restaurants around the world – but my greatest pleasure is always eating in one of our places because I enjoy the interaction with our own people.
- How do you inspire your team
I believe we spend so much of our time working so we should really enjoy it – even if there are some tough days. I like to be visible in the business and show the team that I look forward to going to work and enjoy it so that everyone else will do the same.
- Which person in hospitality have you most admired / inspired you?
Originally my father and mother who ran Crieff Hydro before me for over 30 years. More recently the team around me and all the people I meet in Hospitality – I try to learn from everyone. I liked the way Obama put it “Listen to everybody, you never know where you’re going to pick nuggets of wisdom up.”
- How do you manage your stress levels?
My mind is very active. So I make sure I get all the sleep I need and make time most weeks to work on rebuilding classic cars: for me that’s how I get in “the zone”.
- Instagram, Twitter or Facebook – and why?
Facebook because it’s more social but I don’t post much because fundamentally I’m an introvert.
- If you had not gone into hospitality, where do you think you would be now?
An accountant of some description.
- What did you do on your last days off?
Exploring the west coast of Scotland by boat with my family
- What do you do to relax, to support your wellbeing?
Build classic cars.